Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Digital Textbooks
After looking at many articles I settled on the article Getting to Know a Digital Textbook by Terence W.
Cavanaugh. This article focuses on how using digital textbooks can revolutionize our schools. First of all to use a digital textbooks the kids must have some sort of electronic device such as a laptop, e-reader, or a ipad. While this may stop some people from using a digital textbook right now in the future as more electronics are readily available it will be easier. The nice thing about digital textbooks is first of all you don't have to carry around all those heavy books. It could really help save some kids backs by using digital textbook. Another feature of digital textbooks is being able to highlight them and looks up words easily. They can also easily have the textbook read to them (auto) or increase the size of the text. For special ed learners this would be really helpful. Also in a lot of digital textbooks kids can click on links in the textbook and it will take them to a internet site. They may be able to learn more in depth about the subject this way. Now the question is how does this relate to the campfire learning styles. Well this could be really useful for the alone time in the cave. Kids can go in their own little word and read their textbook. Or maybe have the textbook read to them, and take notes while listening to it. This could also contribute to the campfire where everyone shares their ideas. They can pull out their textbooks and talk about different things they may have highlighted. To back up their points they can show links from the internet. The nice thing about digital textbooks is that they can be taken anywhere and that is very convenient. Plus everyone almost always has some sort of digital device on them so they could pull up the digital textbook whenever. Digital textbooks hopefully will be started to be embraced more and more by people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like that you chose an article on digital textbooks. To me this is one of the easiest ways to integrate technology into and out of the classroom to aid in education. I remember having a digital textbook for the first time my senior year and I love how we as students were able to have the book at home to read on our own (and at our own pace since I am such a slow reader). Definitely a good example of technology boosting "cave" learning.
ReplyDeleteI like all the different possibilities that accompany the use of a digital textbook, however, I HATE using digital textbooks. I am the type of person that likes the feeling of the pages on my fingers and being able to physically highlight key ideas or phrases. I think it's so much easier to flip from page to page when the book is actually sitting in front of me instead of on my computer screen. Don't get me wrong, I think digital textbooks are a great way to implement technology into learning, but we have to keep in mind that not all students like using technology. Every student will learn a different way and some students cannot learn from a digital textbook. I know I can't, at least.
ReplyDeleteI think that digital textbooks will get even increase exponentially because of the 'green movement.' Digital textbooks save paper and therefore money. One problem that indirectly is related to education is that all the jobs that are cut out for digital textbooks instead of manufacturing actual textbooks. It takes less man power to create it online. But I love the fact that digital textbooks have so many supplemental resources such as quizzes and links to other reading. Unfortunately I am like Kristin, I learn better from a real book. I like to be able to physically flip through the pages to read.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think digital textbooks are wonderful in the right context. Would you use them as a BYOD program or would the school provide the devices on which these textbooks would be accessed?
ReplyDelete